Thursday, May 8, 2014

"Ode to Jamie D."

“Ode to Jamie D.”

I only met him twice in person
and spoke maybe three words to him
but I had his voice in my ears
a few hours every week for 3 years.

When a celebrity dies it feels the same
as the death of a distant cousin you saw
at a wedding ten years ago.

But his death feels different.

It is more like losing a friend
you went to high school with
or the co-worker who understood
your “Deep Space Nine” jokes.

I find myself constantly re-watching
the same old movies and TV shows,
not because of the stories or visual effects,
but because I just wanted to hang out
with those characters again.

While it is sad that he is not here anymore
it is comforting to know that there are literally
hundreds of hours of podcasts I can go back to
hear him wax poetic about the dynamic work
of John Byrne
and rail against the injustices
of double-shipping.

I can only hope
that when I speak into a microphone,
I can be the same friend to some stranger
that he was to me.


Dedicated to
James “Jamie D.” Dallessandro

(1966-2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment