Friday, October 4, 2013

Shotgun Reviews - Week of 10/02/13

Villains Month is over and it is time to get back into the swing of the New 52. Plus I read a new Vertigo book and a couple of anthology books. Here are my thoughts:

Action Comics #24 - We get a strong re-introduction of Psycho Pirate but I would have liked to see more of his origin instead of reading him monologue about it. The second half of this issue really dragged.
Detective Comics #24 - The writing is a little heavy-handed but the action scenes are gorgeous.
Batwing #24 - The romantic arc here is really confusing. Ever since they took this book away from Africa it has become just another generic superhero book.
Earth 2 #16 - Some well-drawn fight sequences lead to a reveal that could have been much more shocking.
Green Arrow #24 - I love when Andrea Sorrentino's art gets cerebral. This story perfectly follows Count Vertigo's Villains issue and the ending reveal is very intriguing.
Green Lantern #24 - Relic really struts his stuff here but the art is not very detailed and does not hold up at times, especially the wide shots.
Swamp Thing #24 - Nice setup for what looks like an awesome showdown between Swamp Thing and the Seeder later this month in the Swamp Thing Annual.
The Movement #5 - The art makes my head hurt. I wish there was more of the Prince of Rats. He is by far the most interesting character in this title.
Forever Evil #2 (of 7) - Yay Otis! Geoff Johns brings one of my favorite DC movie characters into comics and then he has to be a jerk about it. Seriously, this is a really solid issue.
Hinterkind #1 - It is nice to see that New Yorkers still talk like New Yorkers after the apocalypse. This is a fresh take showing us the world years after everything hit the fan.
The Witching Hour #1 - Eclectic mix of stories. My favorites were "Fellow Travelers" and "Mars to Stay" which has nothing to do with Witches but was truly haunted.
CBLDF Liberty Annual 2013 - All of these stories were great fun. I liked how they went beyond comics and addressed the battle between censorship and free speech across all types of media. My favorite story was "The Shoot" because it reminded me of my film school days.

No comments:

Post a Comment