Sunday, September 8, 2013

Shotgun Reviews for 9/4/2013

Villains Month for DC started last Wednesday. Here is a list of all the issues I read that day plus my gut reaction to the book in one or two sentences. Just for reference I tend to read all of the New 52 plus any
Image or Vertigo #1s. If I like a #1 I will usually pick it up in trade. Alright, here it goes:

Cyborg Superman #1 - You kind of need to be reading Supergirl to understand this issue's plot structure and there could have been a stronger emotional payoff for this character.
Bizarro #1 - Ed want less Bizarro! (If you know Bizarro-Speak, you know what I'm saying)
Poison Ivy #1 - Very cool mix of art styles.
Joker #1 - This is why pet gorillas are a bad idea. Andy Kubert is a solid writer.
Two Face #1 - This is an awesome character study and exactly the kind of story I was hoping to get from Villain's Month.
Ventriloquist #1 - There are many creepy things going on here but I am still confused about whether or not Ferdie is a sentient puppet or if Shauna is controlling him somehow.
Darkseid #1 - The art provides a beautiful aesthetic and this is a moving origin story for the character.
Deadshot #1 - I can't wait to see how the events of this issue play out in Suicide Squad.
Desaad #1 - This character still feels like just another Darkseid minion.
Grodd #1 - This is an even bigger reason why pet gorillas are a bad idea. It's fun to see the culture clash between humans and gorillas.
Count Vertigo #1 - This is a fresh and eerie update of a classic villain.
Relic #1 - If someone sat Relic down and explained that the people he's pissed at have been dead for a few billion years, he would probably calm down. Somehow I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
Creeper #1 - The art in here was kind of busy and I found the story very boring.
Forever Evil #1 (of 7) - There is a lot going one here but Geoff Johns does a solid job of keeping everything easy to follow.
And here's an Image book for good measure:
Reality Check #1 - A cute story with a cool reflexive look at the comic book industry. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I will read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment